CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Puncture Wound


Poor Mazzy somehow punctured her elbow, on what I have no idea. A friend of mine noticed it when I got to the barn tonight and was leading Mazzy out of her stall. It probably happened last night after I left due to the way it looked. I wish someone had noticed it earlier today. There was heat, discharge, and swelling so I called the vet (an emergency call of course due to the time) and then I cold hosed it while I waited, luckily my wonderful vet came right out. She game me some antibiotics, but due to the location there wasn't much more she could do except put some Betadine antibiotic ointment on it. Luckily Mazzy was up to date with her Tetanus shot, which can make the difference between a horse that recovers from even a simple-looking wound and one that dies from a bacterial infection. As long as she stays sound and it doesn't swell more I can keep riding her. By the time I took care of all of this, it was too late to ride. There's always tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's an odd spot for an injury - it's amazing what trouble horses can get into! Hope it heals cleanly and with no trouble.

Shelly's Stuff said...

Glad to hear its a minor wound. My neighbor's horses and cow seem to get themselves into things that leave them with scratches and small cuts. Luckily they, too, have also been minor...she just apllies a little betadine and TLC! We're always scratching our heads trying to figure out what they did!!!

Julia said...

I have seen this injury before too!! I almost think the back of a heel on their front foot can do it. I have not seen this injury occur in live form but I have my suspicions on just how they do it! Good to have the tetanus shot too.

Paint Girl said...

I hope Mazzy recovers quickly! Glad it's nothing to serious.
Horses do the strangest things. Brandy keeps getting scrapes all over her back, but I think they are bite marks from Fritzy. If Fritzy doesn't knock it off, she'll end up in her own pasture!

Five O'Clock Somewhere said...

Julia, my vet had the same suspicions as you! She said Mazzy may have to wear a "donut" around her ankle to protect her.

Floating Social Media